People with prostatitis doubt whether it is right to have sex. This is a delicate question to be resolved. From this article you will learn how an intimate relationship affects the disease, how and how much you can have sex and when it is prohibited.
The prostate undergoes inflammatory processes in more than half of men, so the topic of sex with prostatitis is very relevant. In addition, the pathology is accompanied not only by painful urination, but also by impaired sexual functions (decreased libido and potency).
The effect of sex on prostatitis
Most of the time men believe that it is impossible to have sex with prostate disease. But this is a wrong opinion, because sexual contact has the most beneficial effect on potency and healing processes.
Prostatitis is known to result from lack of sex and congestion. This is due to the fact that during ejaculation, secretion is released, as a result of which the amount of testosterone (male sex hormone) produced increases. Furthermore, regular sexual intercourse has the following effect:
- prostate juice is actively produced;
- blood circulation in the prostate gland is restored;
- sperm removes decay products from the inflamed area;
- improves the nutrition of cells and tissues, thanks to the active blood supply;
- the prostate is massaged against the background of muscle contraction;
- pain syndrome decreases; The erectile function of
- has been improved.
In acute form
When prostatitis is acute, medicine advises against sexual intercourse. The reason for this is intense pain that will intensify during intercourse and ejaculation. In addition, pain is felt even at rest. And the man will not receive pleasure during the period of exacerbation.
For the chronic form
In the case of a chronic course of the disease, sexual intercourse is shown, on the contrary. Also, sex should be as regular as possible. Pain during this period does not appear, the man experiences pleasant sensations.
The only drawback is the weakening of the erection. But this can be corrected if you adhere to all the recommendations of the experts. And above all with regard to the psychological aspects. Because in this context, the husband avoids contact with his wife and this leads to the development of new stagnant phenomena. As a result, the disease progresses with renewed vigor.
But excessive sex is also not recommended, as the inflamed prostate cannot withstand significant loads. Therefore, it is necessary to adhere to the golden mean.
Sex after therapy
If the prostatitis was not in an advanced degree, conservative methods are sufficient for treatment. In this case, after a full recovery, the intimate life is improving on its own. But if radical methods of therapy were used - removal of the prostate gland - then you will have to adhere to these rules in order to resume sexual intercourse:
- intimate life can be resumed 30-50 days after surgery;
- physical activity during rehabilitation is excluded;
- physiotherapy is desirable;
- you need to visit a psychotherapist to restore the psycho-emotional background.
The prognosis of the return of male strength largely depends on the surgical method used:
- after transurethral surgery in 90 out of 100 cases, the potency is restored, but it becomes impossible to conceive a child, since ejaculation is carried out in the bladder;
- after open prostatectomy intimate life is improving;
- if the prostate gland is removed with a laser, sex life is also restored.
When a man had complete impotence before the operation, erectile function is not fully restored after surgery.
When is sex with prostatitis prohibited?
As mentioned above, it is forbidden to have sex during an exacerbation of the disease, as a man will experience unbearable pain and the symptoms that appear will get worse.
But there are other situations where sex has a negative impact:
- The bacterial type of prostatitis in acute form leads to the spread of the inflammatory process to other organs of the small pelvis, the kidneys. Also, there is a risk of partner infection. For these reasons, complete abstinence is required until the time of recovery.
- The presence of female diseases in the partner, especially the bacterial form.
- In the absence of ejaculation during intercourse. Sperm produced by the prostate stagnates in the organ, which aggravates the patient's condition.
- When women change frequently. The fact is that each person has his own genital microflora, which the male body must adapt to. If you constantly change it, prostatitis becomes aggravated and complicated - the inflammatory process does not allow you to change quickly.
- Too frequent contact leads to increased stress on the prostate gland.
- Interrupted sex. In this case, the prostate is not completely emptied, and the remains of sperm contribute to the multiplication of pathogenic microorganisms.
- Inflammatory processes in the seminal tubercles and vesicles - pain will be present.
- An abscess in the prostate leads to blood poisoning, as the capsule may burst and pus will enter the bloodstream.
- Presence of stones in the prostate (they will damage tissues and blood vessels).
- The formation of a cyst is dangerous due to its rupture and internal bleeding.
How often is it recommended to have sex for prostatitis?
During intimate mating, the prostate produces ejaculate, which contains many nutrients that saturate the male genitals. After ejaculation, the sperm begins to synthesize again, so sex should be present in the life of a patient with prostatitis. But how long should there be? In fact, there are no standard standards, so every man is obliged to have sex as often as he did before the illness. But it shouldn't be less than 3 or 4 times a week.
A disease such as prostatitis often leads to cooling of feelings in a married couple, because a man's potency decreases. Against this background, he begins to fear intimate relationships, which affect the psychological state.
Constant fears significantly weaken libido, accelerate the ejaculation process and reduce erection. To prevent this from happening, the man himself and his partner need to tune in to a positive result. A woman is obliged to cheer up her husband and not stop having sex with him. Otherwise, the husband will give preference not to sex, but to other activities: he will find a new hobby, start drinking alcohol, which will affect the inflamed prostate and psychological background even worse.
This leads to disease progression, external irritability and even aggression, and stagnant ejaculate will cause nocturnal emissions. If a couple cannot cope with psychological problems on their own, they will need to seek the help of a specialist: a sexologist, a psychotherapist or a psychologist. Medical assistance from such doctors is also needed in cases where a man does not have a permanent partner who will treat the problem with understanding.
You can go to a sex therapist on your own, but it is better that your woman visits him too, because the specialist will teach her the correct behavioral tactics.
Contraception for prostatitis
A condom for prostatitis should always be in a married couple's bedroom. This is due to the fact that the female microflora with inflammation of the prostate can have a negative effect, as it contains conditionally pathogenic microbes that easily penetrate the urethral canal and gland.
Contraception is used not only for normal sex, but also for oral and anal sex, as microorganisms are also present in the oral cavity and rectum and in large quantities. These bacteria exert a strong microbial load that the reproductive system cannot bear.
Anal sex with prostatitis
It is not forbidden to practice anal intercourse with prostatitis of the prostate. Therefore, you can safely do this with a woman. If we talk about representatives of non-traditional orientation, then a sick man, being passive, can also have anal sex. Additionally, this process promotes prostate massage. But you need to know that massage with the genitals through the rectum does not have a strong therapeutic effect, unlike the massage performed with the finger of a qualified specialist.
When anal sex is contraindicated:
- The patient should monitor the condition of the prostate - if the symptoms begin to intensify, anal stimulation will have to be abandoned, because the inflamed gland becomes irritated and swollen.
- If a man uses rectal suppositories for treatment, anal intercourse is contraindicated. The fact is that many suppositories contain substances that damage latex (condom material). This leads to a new infection and it is strictly forbidden to engage in anal sex with prostatitis without contraception.
- You will have to refuse contact if there is cancer of the prostate or stones.
Is masturbation allowed?
Based on the above material, it is clear that it is necessary to have sex during the period of remission of prostatitis. But, on the other hand, it is undesirable to change partners. And many representatives of the strong half of humanity are embarrassed to have sex with a new partner due to a weakened erection. Then the question arises: what should a man do who does not have a wife? The answer to such an intimate question is ambiguous:
- Old-school doctors categorically do not welcome this type of activity, linking it to the fact that with prostatitis a person should not overload the body. He is shown a good rest, peace.
- Modern medicine dictates its rules: masturbation is useful. In fact, with prolonged abstinence, the male reproductive system undergoes atrophy. Stagnation progresses in it, against the background of which pathological disorders such as cancer, thrombosis, etc. develop. Moreover, the stagnation of seminal fluid in the body causes infertility and total impotence.
So if a man has a regular partner, he can refuse to masturbate, engaging in traditional types of sex. But if there is no partner, then it is better to use self-gratification.
If a man is diagnosed with prostatitis, but not in the acute stage, he should not refuse sexual intercourse. But this must be done correctly and necessarily after consultation with the attending andrologist. It is the doctor who will provide specific recommendations on the frequency of the act, based on the course of the disease.