General or rectal massage for prostatitis is part of therapeutic therapy, the action of which is aimed at suppressing the inflammatory process in the prostate gland. This procedure has a number of indications and contraindications with which you need to familiarize yourself before the session. Prostate massage can be performed both in the hospital and at home.
Advantages of the procedure
Treatment of prostatitis with massage has a huge number of benefits. With the help of this physiotherapeutic technique, the problem of eliminating stagnation of biological fluids in the cavity of the prostate gland and other organs of the genitourinary system is solved. Thanks to this, they quickly get rid of pathogenic microorganisms that cause the inflammatory process.
At the end of the therapeutic massage session, the blood flow to the problem organ increases and its nutrition with valuable microelements is normalized. The urination process becomes less painful as the inflammation subsides. In addition, prostatitis massage in men has a beneficial effect on their potency, which was weakened due to the disease.
The effectiveness of the massage depends directly on who performs it. The specialist must perfectly know all the features of this procedure. His actions should be as careful and fluid as possible. Otherwise, it can injure sensitive tissues, thereby aggravating the course of the pathological process in the genitourinary system.
Methods of massage
Prostate massage for prostatitis is of several types. The most popular are manual techniques:
- Visceral massage. Its essence lies in the effect on the patient's ligaments, which are located in the abdomen. This technique allows you to improve the general condition of the internal organs of the small pelvis and normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Transrectal finger massage. Provides a direct effect on the prostate gland. This technique is relevant for diseases of the glandular organ. The main drawback of the procedure is that not all men consent to such treatment;
- Acupressure. During the sessions, there is no stress on the prostate. The doctor only massages specific areas of the body that are responsible for the required internal organ functioning.
You can massage the prostate organ by yourself. In this case, the most popular is perineal massage, which is recommended for chronic prostatitis. If it is difficult for a man to perform basic actions with his hands, he can use the help of a special massager. Which device to choose for the treatment of a glandular organ can be suggested by a specialist.
An alternative to this procedure is horseback riding and bathing, which come with a vibratory water massage.
Regardless of what type of massage the patient intends to be treated with, he must first make sure that the procedure is most useful for him and will not lead to negative consequences.
Rectal prostate massage
Rectal prostate massage with chronic non-exacerbated prostatitis is considered one of the most effective methods of combating the inflammatory process in the prostate gland. According to the rules, it must be performed in the clinic. The patient should, for the physician's convenience, assume a knee-elbow position on a special table. After that, the urologist can proceed with the procedure, i. e. insert a lubricated finger into the anus and begin the massage.
For prostate massage to be successful, it must be performed with soft, fluid movements. Haste with such a procedure is dangerous.
With the permission of the doctor, the patient can conduct such sessions at home. The urologist will recommend a massage therapist for the treatment of prostatitis, as the finger method in this case will be difficult to carry out. During the appointment, the specialist will talk to the patient about all the features of the procedure and give useful advice that will help prevent blunders.
On average, a rectal massage cycle lasts about 2 weeks. The duration of physiotherapy treatment is determined by the doctor based on the current indicator of the man's health and the severity of the clinical symptoms of prostatitis.
Massage for prostatitis, which is carried out in the clinic and at home, can be general. During the session, certain points must be involved that are interconnected with the prostate gland. They are found in different parts of the body. A specialist will be able to show the exact location of the biologically active points.
During a general massage session, which should help a man with prostatitis recover faster, the following areas are involved:
- Feet. Massaging this area helps a person get rid of the feeling of fatigue and unnecessary stress. The procedure improves the outflow of venous blood from the pelvis. A mild effect on some receptors can reduce the severity of pain;
- The basin. Improves blood flow to the prostate gland. If the massage of this area is done correctly, the patient's problems associated with erectile function are stopped. Massaging the pelvis eliminates the signs of dysuric disorders and also facilitates the process of defecation and urination;
- Buttocks. Stagnant processes are eliminated and blood flow to the problem area improves. After such a massage, patients notice a decrease in pain;
- Small of the back. Exposure to this area activates the nerve endings responsible for the proper functioning of the prostate. Thanks to this, the work of the glandular organ is stabilized.
The attending physician will tell you how to cure prostatitis by massaging different active points on the body. At the request of a man, he can take a thematic video showing how to massage correctly to eliminate chronic inflammation in the gland.
To increase the effectiveness of the physiotherapy procedure, doctors also recommend the use of massage products, supplemented with products from bees and medicinal plants. Pharmacy balms will not be superfluous. Men should take a closer look at those that have an analgesic effect. They are usually made on the basis of snake or bee venom.
How to massage yourself for prostatitis
Questions about how to massage for chronic prostatitis should be asked by those patients who are authorized by the doctor to practice this method of treatment. A consultation with a urologist on this topic is mandatory, as not all men can afford to carry out this procedure at home. This is because in some cases it has negative health consequences.
If the patient has no serious contraindications and complications, she can perform prostatitis massage at home. It is best to use a massager for this treatment.
If the use of the finger method is planned, the man must first put on sterile gloves on his hand and grease his index finger with petroleum jelly or gel that can be used for such purposes. Next, it needs to be inserted into the anus approximately 4-6 cm. At this distance, a small sac can be found, which is attached to the anterior wall of the intestine.
The massage should be done with extreme caution. It is best to limit yourself to light stroking movements. It is advisable to move towards the excretory ducts through which the prostatic secretion comes out.
During a therapeutic massage for prostatitis, the massage can be performed in several ways. It is usually recommended to perform a funnel-shaped maneuver with your finger or to surround an imaginary number 8 with it.
To make it convenient for a man to perform self-massage, he should assume a position lying on his back, while he bends and spreads his legs to the sides.
Before acting on the prostate gland using massage, it is necessary to make sure that there are no contraindications to such manipulations. This requires a complete examination of the genitourinary system. The diagnostic results will also help you know if a particular patient needs a prostate massage.
Urologists categorically prohibit massage of the prostate gland if the patient has the following contraindications:
- Inflammation of the hemorrhoids;
- Stones or cystic formations in the prostate
- Malignant damage to the tissues of the glandular organ;
- Tuberculosis of the gland.
If a patient with one of the above diagnoses receives a massage, it will greatly worsen his general health and aggravate the course of the pathological process in the gland.
What you need to pay attention to
Therapeutic prostate massage can be both beneficial and harmful. It all depends on whether all the requirements for a massage for prostatitis are met. Preparing for a physiotherapy event is just as important. It consists of several stages:
- The first step is to understand whether general or rectal massage will harm the patient. To do this, it is necessary to check whether it has any contraindications to the procedure;
- Immediately before the session, a man should clean the rectum of feces. If necessary, he will have to do a cleansing enema;
- A man must prepare for the procedure. Psychological preparation is also important, since a positive attitude towards rectal massage helps to reduce the discomfort that patients usually feel;
- During the first few sessions, pain in the anus may be felt. This is fine. To minimize discomfort and pain syndrome, it is advisable to carry out the procedure in 3-4 approaches, making about 10 strokes each time.
The urologist should inform the patient in advance about possible side effects. They are usually limited to moderate pain and discomfort in the anus. All this happens after a short period of time from the completion of the prostate massage. Discomfort symptoms disappear on their own.
The course of massage treatment and its duration are selected individually for each patient. This procedure usually takes no more than 3 minutes. If a man is diagnosed with advanced chronic prostatitis, the session can be increased to 5 minutes.
Prostate massage sessions are usually done within 14 days. It is advisable to take a break at the end. It will be at least 6 months. If this need arises, the man will be able to attend treatment sessions again in six months.
If, during a physiotherapy procedure, a man suddenly begins to be bothered by sharp pains and severe discomfort, then he will have to be stopped immediately. These signs are alarming. If they do occur, it is recommended to undergo repeated diagnoses to calculate the cause of the discomfort.
Normally, during the prostate gland massage, a secret produced by the prostate should be released from the urethra. During diagnosis, the fluid is collected and sent to a laboratory for analysis. If a man is recovering, his secret will have a transparent or slightly whitish tint.
With severe tissue damage of the prostate, a secret will be released in which purulent masses are present. In this case, it is necessary to abandon the massage, as this can cause complications.
Prostate gland massage is generally regarded as one of the stages of complex therapy. Such sessions should be carried out in conjunction with taking medications. Only in this case, the treatment will soon bring a positive result, which a man with inflammation of the prostate expects.